Progressively leading, engaged in learning,
and committed to district- wide growth.​

 Homeless Assistance: Questions and Answers

The School District of Omro is responsible for identifying, enrolling, and assisting homeless students so that they can receive an education.
Homeless students are defined as kids who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence. This includes students who:
  • are "doubled-up"; sharing housing due to economic hardship (grandparent, relative, friend)
  • Live in domestic abuse shelters, emergency shelters, or transitional housing
  • teens who "couch surf"; temporarily staying at different friend's homes
  • are runaway youth
  • live in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds
  • are waiting foster care placement
  • live in cars, parks, public spaces, substandard housing, abandoned buildings
  • migrant children who qualify as homeless because they live in the above circumstances
What can the school district do for the kids?
Homeless students are automatically eligible for the following through Title I Reservation Funds through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.
Step 1: Contact the school secretary to complete the Homeless Student Process Form.
Step 2: Contact  the Building Principals for the following:
  • free school meal benefits under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
  • standard school supplies, including any homework tools and calculators
  • translation services
  • appropriate transportation services
  • course fee waivers
  • graduation hat/gown
  • Copy of birth certificate fee
What can the parent(s)/guardian(s) of homeless kids do for help? 
Parent(s)/guardian(s) of homeless kids can call the Department of Human Services at 236-4600, located at 220 Washington Avenue in Oshkosh. The secretary will assist them in setting up an appointment with a counselor and perhaps a financial worker. The counselor and/or financial worker will assess the situation and provide access to resources in assistance for the family. 
What about food and medical care for the family?
Resources such as Food Share (Food Stamps), Medicaid, and Badger Care are available for qualifying families through the Department of Health and Family Services. Call the Recipient Services Hotline at 1-800-362-3002.  
What about immediate shelter for the homeless kids or the family?
There are sources for immediate/emergency shelter care in the Oshkosh area: Father Carr's Place 2B and The Salvation Army. 
    Father Carr's Place 2B is located at 1965 Oshkosh Avenue in Oshkosh. They can be contacted at (920) 231-2378. Father Carr's Place 2B is a temporary shelter facility. Qualifying families arrive and will receive immediate assistance. Note that there are separate housing for men and for women/children. The temporary shelter is available as long as the family is in need and actively pursuing a more permanent setting. There is also a daily food program of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 
    The Salvation Army, located at 417 Algoma Blvd, in Oshkosh. When the family in need calls 232-7660 they will be assigned a case manager who will discuss options. The Salvation Army uses housing vouchers, up to 1 week, at qualifying motels.
What about long-term shelter for the homeless family?
Winnebago County Housing Authority does assist families in locating low income housing and apartments. The Winnebago County Housing Authority has an automated phone system so when you call (920) 424-1450, press 2, to access someone about general inquiries or to request an application. Their office hours are 8:00 - 4:30 p.m. There is a waiting list for low income housing and apartments.
Are there any Omro Resources?
Our Helping Hands process is a form that individual families can submit to building principals. By selecting specific organizations we can call upon our community resources.
  • School District of Omro
  • 455 Fox Trail Omro, WI 54963
  • Phone: (920) 303-2302
  • School District of Omro
  • 455 Fox Trail Omro, WI 54963
  • Phone: (920) 303-2302